Acura Owner's Manuals
Since:March 27, 1986
HQ:Minato, Tokyo, Japan
Acura is the luxury division of the Japanese maker Honda. The brand was introduced in North America on 27 March 1986, selling luxury, performance, and high-performance cars.
Acura is the initial Japanese automotive luxury brand. In its first few years of being, Acura was amongst the best-selling luxury brand in the US. Though sales dropped in the mid-to-late 1990s, the brand experienced a revival in the new 2000s, due to radical redesigns and the debut of new models.
In the late 1980s, the success of their first car, the Legend, inspired fellow Japanese makers Toyota and Nissan to start their luxury brands, Lexus and Infiniti, respectively.
In the beginning 2000s, Acura added new models, including the MDX, and two models which followed the Integra coupé and sedan, the RSX and TSX, respectively. In the 2010s, Acura introduced more new models, including the ILX, TLX, ZDX, and RLX. A second generation NSX was presented in 2016 and highlights a twin-turbocharged mid-powertrain, a nine-speed dual-clutch shifter, and Sport Hybrid SH-AWD.
- 2000–present MDX mid-size (crossover SUV)
- 2006–present RDX compact (crossover SUV)
- 2013–present ILX (Subcompact executive sedan, the replacement of the Integra)
- 2013–present RLX (Mid-size luxury executive sedan, substitutes RL)
- 2014–present TLX (Compact executive sedan, substitutes TL and TSX)
- 2017–present NSX (Sports car, the replacement to the first-generation NSX)
- 2017–present CDX sub-compact (Luxury CUV)
- 2009–2013 ZDX (crossover SUV)
- 2005–2011 CSX (compact sedan, followed by the ILX)
- 2003–2014 TSX (compact sports sedan, followed by the TLX)
- 2002–2006 RSX (sports coupe, followed by the TSX)
- 1997–2005 EL (compact sedan, substituted Integra sedan)
- 1997–1999, 2001–2003 CL (luxury coupe, abandoned after 2003 model year)
- 1996–2014 TL (mid-size sports sedan, substituted by the TLX)
- 1996–2012 RL (full-size sedan, abandoned after 2012 model year, followed by the RLX)
- 1996–1999 SLX (SUV, re-badged Isuzu Trooper, followed by the MDX)
- 1992–1994 Vigor (mid-sized sedan, followed by the TL)
- 1990–2005 NSX (exotic coupe, renewed in 2016)
- 1985–2001 Integra (sports coupe and sedan, followed by the RSX and EL)
- 1985–1995 Legend (luxury sedan and coupe, rebadged to RL for 1996)
Acura known problems
- Some of the common problems or complaints owners have about the Acura are:
- A large number of Acura cars have been recalled because they contain dangerous airbag inflators made by Takata. The shrapnel-hurling inflators have been recalled in over 37 million cars.
- The headrest design in certain Acura vehicles is crippling.
- Concerns that some sort of electrical overstress is messing with airbag control units (ACU) in several Acura cars.
- TLX Transmission Slips on Acceleration, Bumps While Stopping
- RLX Suspension Rattle
- Infotainment Freezes
- HandsFreeLink Drains Battery
- TL Cracked Dashboards
- Excessive Oil Consumption